- Producer: Clos Solène - read about the Estate
- Winemaker: Guillaume Fabre
- Region (AVA): Paso Robles (Paso Robles)
- Blend: 40% Syrah, 34% Cabernet Sauvignon, 26% Grenache
- Vintage production: 300 cases
- Winery location: Willow Creek
- Owners: Guillaume & Solène Fabre
- First Vintage: 2007
- Drinking window: 2020-2035
About the Wine:
The fruit for the Fleur de Solène was sourced from the top sites on the superior, Westside of Paso Robles. The vines are spaced 2,300 vines per acre - ideal for working them hard to prodcue a more complex wine, with miniscule yields of just 2.5 tonnes per acre. As a result, just 300 cases of this elixir were produced in 2017.
The wine spend 16 months in French oak, only 40% new, so the emphasis is on texture and style over oak-flavour.
Clos Solène Fleur de Solène 2017
“Deep violet. Powerful aromas of cherry, cassis and dark chocolate are given lift by a peppery element that gains strength with air. Sweet and seamless on the palate, offering pliant dark fruit, floral pastille and chewing tobacco flavors and a strong jolt of exotic spices. Round, even tannins build steadily on an impressively long, focused finish that emphatically repeats the floral and spice notes. 20% new French oak."
94 points, Josh Reynolds (Vinous, Feb. 2020)