- Producer: Bevan Cellars - read about the Estate
- Winemaker: Russell Bevan
- Region (AVA): Napa Valley (Napa Valley)
- Blend: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, Malbec
- Vintage production: 3,952 cases
- Winery location: Oakville
- Owners: Russell Bevan & Victoria De Crescenzo
- First vintage: 2008
- Drinking window: 2020-2035+
About The Wine
The fruit the Ontogeny 2018 is sourced from the famed Tench, Wildfoote and Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyards. Bevan Cellars is renowned for its multiple-100 point, single-vineyard wines, most famously the Tench Vineyard (which borders Screaming Eagle) and Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard (a wine repeatedly likened to Château Cheval Blanc). Add to these the Wildfoote Vineyard in Stags Leap District, the Harbison and Saunders Vineyards next to Tench, and the mountainous Sage Ridge Vineyard, and you have an epic-line up of top tier Napa sites.
There are no grapes grown specifically to go into the Ontogeny. Instead, Russell selectes barrels from the vineyard designates to produce something enchanting.
Bevan Cellars Ontogeny Red Wine 2018
"The 2018 Ontogeny should be up there with the 2017 and has lots of cassis and currant fruits as well as plenty of graphite, tapenade, salted chocolate, and leafy herbs. It's a rich, full-bodied, deep, sexy beast."
97-99 points, Jeb Dunnuck (Jan. 2020)