- Producer: Bevan Cellars - read about the Estate
- Winemaker: Russell Bevan
- Region (AVA): Napa Valley (Napa Valley)
- Blend: 46% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Petit Verdot, 18%Cabernet Franc, 18% Merlot
- Vintage production: 3,548 cases
- Winery location: Oakville
- Owners: Russell Bevan & Victoria De Crescenzo
- First vintage: 2008
- Drinking window: 2019-2035+
About The Wine
The fruit the Ontogeny is sourced from the famed Tench, Wildfoote, Sentinel Ridge and Sugarloaf vineyards. Russell and the team hand select barrels each vintage that fit this cuvée's classically rich profile.
In 2017, the Ontogeny blend has more Tench Cabernet and Sugarloaf Mountain Cabernet Franc as its major component than ever before. This ratcheted up the red fruit profile and the aromatics. Like all of the Tench wines, this is fruit driven, but the Cabernet Franc and Merlot deliver hints of Cigar and Dark Chocolate. Powerful, but Graceful.
Bevan Cellars Ontogeny Red Wine 2017
"Cassis, black olives, tobacco, chocolate, toasted spice, and graphite notes all emerge from the 2017 Ontogeny, a more rounded, plush, sexy wine that nevertheless packs ample muscle, depth, and richness. It's a beautifully balanced, silky, awesome wine as well as a killer value."
97 points, Jeb Dunnuck (Jan. 2020)