- Producer: Bevan Cellars - read about the Estate
- Winemaker: Russell Bevan
- Region (AVA): Napa Valley (Napa Valley)
- Blend: 46% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Petit Verdot, 18%Cabernet Franc, 18% Merlot
- Vintage production: 1,800 cases
- Winery location: Oakville
- Owners: Russell Bevan & Victoria De Crescenzo
- First vintage: 2008
- Drinking window: 2020-2039
About The Wine
The fruit for Ontogeny is sourced from the famed Tench, Tin Box and Sugarloaf vineyards. Russell and the team hand select barrels each vintage that fit this cuvée's classically rich profile.
In 2015, the Ontogeny blend has more Tench Cabernet as its major component than ever before. This ratcheted up the red fruit profile and the aromatics. Like all of the Tench wines, this is fruit driven, but the Cabernet Franc and Merlot deliver hints of Cigar and Dark Chocolate. Powerful, but Graceful.
Bevan Cellars Ontogeny Red Wine 2016
"While the 2016 Ontogeny Red Wine might be the least expensive wine in the lineup, it’s unquestionably at the same quality level as the top tier releases. Boasting a saturated purple color and sensational notes of plums, currants, chocolate, and graphite, this beauty hits the palate with full-bodied richness, incredible opulence and decadent, no hard edges and perfect overall balance. It’s the real deal, and readers should snatch up this beauty."
98 points, Jeb Dunnuck (Jan. 2019)